Our recipes follow PPFF guidelines for women in pre-, peri- and post-menopause.
To clarify, this stands for Protein, Phytoestrogens, (Healthy) Fat and Fibre.
In addition, they’re anti-inflammatory and guided by the Mediterranean Diet.
Why do we follow PPFF?
As a result of PPFF, your body works beautifully to keep your blood sugar balanced, your hunger hormone satisfied, your body packed with nutrients and your weight under control.
Furthermore, phytoestrogens can weakly mimic your body’s natural estrogen supplementing depleted estrogen receptors.
Indeed, the European Menopause and Andropause Society released a position statement that summarised the evidence of the Mediterranean Diet and menopausal health.
By all means, download a copy of our FREE Phytoestrogen Food List here. 😊
The Goods: Edamame & Spinach Rice Noodle Salad
To that end, this delicious salad uses lots of midlife-body-loving greens and protein/healthy fat from beans, soba noodles, peanut butter and seeds.
Soba noodles are made from buckwheat, a gluten-free grain which is a complete protein.
Note: this recipe is flexible. We’ve made it a vegetarian base but you can add other proteins such as eggs or fish dependent on your preferences.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes
For the noodles:
- 200g soba noodles (or you could use rice noodles)
- ½ cup (75g) edamame beans
- 140g baby spinach, torn
- ½ tsp chilli flakes, to serve
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, to serve
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp rice syrup
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil or hemp seed oil
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Once ready, drain, and run under cold water.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the dressing ingredients and set aside until needed.
- Transfer the noodles to a bowl with the edamame beans and spinach.
- Drizzle over the dressing and toss gently until coated.
- Serve topped with chilli flakes and sesame seeds.
- Gluten-Free (depending on noodles used)
- Meal Prep/Freezable
Approximate nutritional value per serve:
- Kcal 293
- Fats(g) 6
- Carbs (g) 50
- Protein (g) 6
- Fibre (g)