Summer + hot flushes.
Somehow just using the words ‘hot flushes’ and ‘summer’ in the same sentence is enough to set off my own internal heat wave!
And the temperatures are rising so if you were suffering from hot flushes already chances are you will be feeling under siege right now.
Here are five things you can do that might bring some welcome relief, and help you enjoy your summer:
1. Keep cool.
I know this sounds crazy – after all, keeping cool is what you’re having trouble doing. However, any slight increase in your body’s core temperature can trigger a hot flush.
- Wherever possible, make use of air conditioning and ceiling or floor fans.
- Choose cotton clothing over synthetic to allow your skin to breathe.
- Substitute hot drinks with ice cold drinks like our Icy Cold Blackberry Smoothie or Strawberry & Vanilla Mocktail.
- Rediscover swimming – if you are not near one of our gorgeous beaches or lakes, find your closest public swimming pool.
- Avoid hot showers or baths before bed.
2. Watch your diet.
Hot flushes can also be triggered by hot and spicy foods, caffeinated beverages and alcohol. Monitor your hot flushes and if they come on after consuming any of these, eliminate the offender.
Stress is a major trigger of hot flushes as well as many of the other signs of menopause. Reduce your stress levels through regular exercise – just 30 minutes a day is enough – and relaxation techniques such as yoga, meditation, deep breathing exercises or just stopping, resting and reading a book.
4. Quit smoking.
Research has shown that smoking increases the occurrence of hot flushes – yet another reason to give up.
5. Use a face or body spritzer
Check out Chillax, the cooling spray we created to help our own summer hot flushes 🙂 Right now you get three bottles for $25 (usually $15 each) so you can have one in the fridge, one in the bathroom and one in the office or wherever you like! We figure you deserve a lovely cool down. ☀️☀️☀️
Hopefully, these tips will help you breeze through the rest of our summer.