Seed cycling or seed rotation. Have you heard of them?
Seed cycling and its sister, seed rotation, are becoming a couple of buzzwords in hormone talking circles lately.
Because they’re an incredibly simple, all-natural, hormone free, non-medicalised (and we’re all about that! 😀) hormone balancing tool.
So what exactly is seeding cycling?
It’s a ‘thing’ for women in all stages of life (pre-, peri and post-menopausal).
Basically, it’s a food-based, gentle, natural helper for aiding hormone balance.Seed cycling is an incredibly simple, all-natural, hormone free hormone balancing tool. Click To Tweet
The raw ingredients are, as you may well have guessed, seeds.
- Ground flaxseed (fresh)
How Seed Cycling Works:
Pre and perimenopausal
For those who are still getting their period, the protocol follows eating the seeds depending where you’re at in your cycle.
- Day 1-14: flax and pumpkin
- Day 15-28: sesame and sunflower
Begin by adding the seeds to your diet at any time.
Go with the flax and pumpkin combo for one to two weeks followed by one to two weeks of the sesame and sunflower.
What you’ll be getting is a lovely, healthy dose of the oils, vitamins and minerals that the seeds deliver.
- Flaxseed – high in omega 3 fatty acids and lignans (plant compounds)
- Pumpkin – rich in omega 6 fatty acids and zinc
- Sesame – abundant in omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E
- Sunflower – omega 3 fatty acids and lignans (plant compounds)
- Some studies have shown that ingesting flaxseeds can reduce the incidence and severity of hot flushes.
- Another showed that pumpkin seed oil decreased hot flushes, joint pain and headaches during the meno years (1).
- And yet another found that sunflower and pumpkin seeds, which are rich in phytoestrogens (plant estrogens), reduced the risk of breast cancer post-menopause (2).
Results of Seed Cycling:
Pre- and perimenopausal
Seed cycling has been known to help with PMS, fertility and tender breasts.
Menopausal and post-menopausal
Many women have reported a reduction in night sweats, hot flushes, mood swings, memory loss and better sleep.
Hallelujah right? 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻
Seed cycling is good for any woman experiencing estrogen dominance as it can increase progesterone levels, and low estrogen as it can raise estrogen levels.
- Take two tablespoons daily.
- You can grind them all together and use as a flavoursome dust over your food. Delish! 😀
- Add them to your smoothies.
- Seeds can go rancid, so store them in the fridge.
Like any natural aids don’t expect instant results. It’s a bonus if the results come quickly, and they may, but for some of us, it might take a bit longer because – as I’m always saying (repetitive alert!) – every body is different.
Add It To Your Survival Kit!😀
We recommend this as an adjunct to 40+™ to help it do its job, not an instead of.
As you know 40+™ is our hero when it comes to hormone balance, but lifestyle and nutritional choices are crucial too. Add seed cycling to your 40+™ and you’ll be adding to your menopause survival kit. Just saying. 😀
Want to get your hands on some 40+? That’s easy. Click here.
1. Gossell-Williams et al., 2011
2. Zaineddin et al., 2012
Mailing list Sign-up
Sign up to our mailing list here for latest news, products, tips, advice and competitions… and receive a free eBook on ways to support your body and minimise the symptoms of menopause.& competitions… and receive a free eBook on ways to support your body & minimise the symptoms of menopause.