Ever tried it?
Nutty and spicy with all the goodness of almonds, sunflower, sesame and fennel seeds plus ground cumin and coriander.
Dukkah is actually an Egyptian condiment, which is traditionally eaten by dipping bread into olive oil (good fat) and then into the nut mixture.This Dukkah recipe is delish and good for you. Click To Tweet
For a more hormone friendly option (sans bread/refined carbs) I recommend using as an all-purpose seasoning and sprinkling it over eggs, rice or soba noodles (low carb) or a plateful of veggies.
I adapted this recipe from the fabulous Sarah Wilson’s now-defunct IQS (I Quit Sugar). Sadly, Sarah closed IQS to pursue other goals, but you can still get your hands on the IQS books. I love many of her recipes and use them often.
For this Dukkah, I double the original recipe as I use loads and always like to have it on hand.
What You’ll Need:
1 C raw almonds (slivered are ok)
1/2 C raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup white sesame seeds
3 tbsp ground coriander
3 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large frypan and toast the almonds and sunflower seeds for a few minutes until they a golden brown. Keep an eye on them as they can overcook in a second.
- Put them to the side.
- Do the same thing with the rest of the ingredients until you can smell the fragrance of the spices.
- Bring all of the ingredients together in a food processor and whizz until they are the texture you like. I go for a breadcrumb like mix but you may like a coarser rendition.
- Store in an airtight container.
Why you’ll love it:
- Almonds are a great source of protein, packed with monosaturated fat (the good stuff) and they fill you up for a while.
- Sunflower seeds are rich in vitamin E, selenium and magnesium.
- Sesame seeds are tiny but they pack a nutritional punch with calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, zinc and dietary fibre.
- The fennel seeds will aid gas and bloating.
- The ground cumin aids digestion, weight loss and fat reduction.
- Ground coriander helps with digestion, liver function and bowel movements.
- It’s a taste sensation!
Mailing list Sign-up
Sign up to our mailing list here for latest news, products, tips, advice & competitions… and receive a free eBook on ways to support your body & minimise the symptoms of menopause.
We’re loving Instagram!
Click the image to follow.
Have you joined us on social media? Take your pick here;